Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dantura








Today I share my Dantura..it has opened and it is splendid! The smell is heavenly. This plant grows to be 6 to 8 feet tall and is loaded with buds at the moment. The flowers are really large, which is why I have grabbed hold of one to give you an idea of the flower size. The plant tag says it is Dantura but I was told by someone else it is actually Datura..so I really am not sure of its real name but it is highly toxic if eaten. They smell rich and aromatic like lilacs only much more concentrated..I am going to try to see if I can drag her into the basement this winter when she has gone by and see if i can store her there till next year (hopefully she will be able to survive).
The flower on this one is named purple ballerina. The buds are apprx 5-7 inches long.
I see the plant has attracted an interesting looking bee that I have never seen before, his legs are loaded heavily with pollen, his color resembles the green bottle flys we have here...OH NO!! ARE THE FLIES AND BEES MATING?
I have been having computer issues, I am working on trying to get some bugs worked out. but I am still around

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful photos! You have some lovely reference pics here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you very much..feel free by all means to use any pic I post as reference

    ReplyDelete